Monday, April 6, 2009

Zooma Half Marathon

I completed my first half marathon on Saturday, April 4, 2009. It was the Zooma Austin Half Marathon. This is the before picture -- look I'm glowing! (Little did I know what I was in for.)
On the right of me are Denise Rhodes and Courtney. We also had two more friends that did this with us, but I didn't see them until I was at the 5.5 mile mark (they were passing me going the other direction.)

This is another before picture. Thought it would be nice to have one of Duane and I together.

I had no idea that this race was constant hills. It was a very challenging course We had a straight uphill for miles 7-9, and my legs nearly collapsed on the uphill of mile 11. Once I conquered that hill, I saw Duane coming back to get me (around mile 12). I had never been happier to see him because I knew I couldn't finish this alone. He kept me focused and going so that I could finish.


This is after the finish, and look, somehow I'm still smiling! You can't see it here, but my arms and hands were completely swollen - similar to how I was during my last month of pregnancy. Gotta find out what's causing that. Duane did a PR at 2:20, and I finished 30 minutes ahead of where I thought I'd be at 3:06 (that time includes a 5 minute potty stop). I was pleased that I did better than I expected, and as usual, Duane amazes me at how he continues to improve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to do a half marathon! I am trying to get back into running again, but getting back into running to me means increasing my endurance. Jacob thinks it is impossible for me to work, prepare for an actuarial exam, and prepare for a half marathon. I think the actual preparation for the half marathon might come after I pass exam FM.